Doctrines and Concepts
Doctrines and Concepts maximise coherence and interoperability between NATO Allies and partners. Concepts link to experimentation and develop new ways NATO may operate in the future.
International Concept Development and Experimentation (ICDE) Conference
The International Concept Development and Experimentation (ICDE) Conference is NATO’s annual forum to provide a unique opportunity for the international concept development and experimentation community and stakeholders to discuss the most current issues of concept development and experimentation in the capability development process.
Learn more on ICDE
- Champion Adaptation and Innovation through Concept Development & Experimentation work across the Alliance and Partner Nations;
- Advocate and enable a federated approach to concept development and innovation across the Alliance and with Partner Nations;
- Engage with our partners; build relationships and trust, draw inspiration from our colleagues and promote a networked Concept Development & Experimentation environment that stimulates collaboration, information-sharing and mutual support;
- Identify and exploit common areas of interest, building communities that can innovate with purpose and coherence;
- Educate partners on Concept Development & Experimentation interests and processes; communicate Concept Development & Experimentation best practices and lessons learned for collective benefit;
- Through Workshops and Seminars, progress individual work strands and concepts.
The conference is focused at the Major General level and below, or the civilian equivalent. Attendance from the following fields, as applicable, are desired: Concept Development & Experimentation, Research and Development, Science and Technology, Doctrine Development, Military Transformation, Battle Laboratories, Centres of Excellence, Academia, the Defence Industry and Subject Matter Experts based on specific workshops/seminars. Attendees can be from a NATO nation/body, Partnership for Peace, Mediterranean Dialogue or Istanbul Cooperation Initiative nations, or from nations collaborating with the US Department of Defence.