Long Term Requirements Workshop - Keynote Speaker
Expert Knowledge on the Transformation of Business and Society
William E. Halal
This authoritative and fascinating forecast of science and technology shows that relentless technological progress is driving the creative transformation of business, society, the entire world, and even what it means to be human. A “Technology Revolution” is accelerating today as an explosion of ever more sophisticated information systems creates unprecedented gains in knowledge, and producing breakthroughs everywhere.
Technology’s Promise draws on the work of TechCast Project at George Washington University to chart the terrain ahead. By pooling the knowledge of 100 experts around the world, the book offers the best forecast data ever assembled, covering the entire span of technological innovation. Provocative analyses of energy, the environment, robotics, artificial intelligence, biogenetics, transportation, space, and much more offer guidance on threats and opportunities in this high-tech future. The book then examines social impacts of the Tech Revolution on business and social institutions, globalization, intelligence and consciousness, and other pivotal issues of our time.
The forecasts are not speculative or optimistic, but conservative estimates based on empirical data. The author’s conclusions recognize that the world must mature if it is to survive, and the evidence presents the most likely outcome rather than mere possibilities. This intriguing book culminates with scenarios that “macro-forecast” the path of this historic trajectory, showing that the next decade may be most crucial.
Praise from government leaders, corporate executives, scientists, futurists, editors, and scholars around the world
- The most defining book of our time. Brilliantly authoritative scenarios help you tap the staggering opportunities of coming technological breakthroughs. Written passionately with incredible clarity and convincing evidence, it dispels the current despair and provides hope for humanity's future.
Madhav Mehra, CEO, World Council for Corporate Governance, London
- A powerful system to prepare for the vast changes ahead. Readable, authoritative, optimistic, and exciting.
Edward Cornish, Founder, World Future Society, Washington, DC
- A must for any futurist, planner, or organization leader. No other book comes anywhere close. Michael Marien, Editor, Future Survey, Syracuse, New York
- You must understand the technology revolution to understand the future.
Halal gives you a passport to this new world. Richard Lamm, Former Governor of Colorado
- A prescient masterpiece.
Nate Allen, Lt. Colonel, US Army
- Not since Megatrends have we been given such a clear view into the future of technology.
Jim Blasingame, radio host, The Small Business Advocate Show
- An indispensable guide to the future for entrepreneurs and a powerful tool for strategic planners and thinkers.
John W. Rollins, IT Entrepreneur, Washington, DC
- An antidote to doom and gloom, not by ignoring problems but by demonstrating that we are creating the technology to reach a new level of civilization.
Harry Rothman, Editor, Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, England
- This passionate, enlightened book with its superlative expert forecasting will prime you for the staggering opportunities and demanding challenges of our times.
John Smart, President, Acceleration Studies Foundation, Los Angeles
- A breathtaking and immensely practical view of what the future holds for us all.
Paul Saffo, Author and Forecaster, Silicon Valley
William E. Halal is Professor Emeritus of Management, Technology and Innovation at George Washington University, co-founder of the Institute for Knowledge & Innovation, and President of TechCast LLC. A respected scholar, consultant, and speaker, he has written five other books and hundreds of articles. Macmillan’s Encyclopedia of the Future rated Bill among “The World’s Most Influential Futurists,” including H.G. Wells, Arthur C. Clarke, Alvin Toffler, and Daniel Bell.
Contents * Discovering the Forces of Transformation * Manufacturing and Robotics * Energy and Environment * Information Technology * Medicine and Biogenetics * Transportation * Space * Social Systems * Beyond Knowledge * Scenarios – A Virtual trip Through Time.
183 pp / 0-230-01954-4 / $39.95 hardback. To obtain a review copy, commission an article or discuss interviews and extracts, contact Lisa Dunn: Tel 01256 302813 or email L.email@example.com